The municipality, founded in 1850, has existed in its present-day form since 1903. On the occasion of the 750-year celebrations of its first recorded naming, it was elevated to a market town in 2006. It has been linked in partnership with the Friulian municipality of Romans d’Isonzo since 2000.
During the last 100 years, the population has more than doubled. In the same period, however, the number of Slovenian speakers has dramatically decreased, although house and district names bear witness to the linguistic heritage. On the interactive map of the cultural society Edinost Škofiče one can read and hear these (www.edinost-skofice.at).